Hollis is an unincorporated, nonprofit community of approximately 165. It is located on the east side of PoW, about 30 miles east of Craig and 35 miles west of Ketchikan. Hollis was founded in the 1890’s as a mining town. Although the mines closed in the 1940’s, Hollis became the base for the Island’s commercial logging operations in the early 1950’s, before operations were moved north to Thorne Bay in the early 1960’s.
The Hollis ferry terminal is the homeport of the Inter-Island Ferry Authority (IFA). The IFA provides daily service between PoW and Ketchikan, an approximately 3 hour trip each way. Scheduled flights also service Hollis. Hollis is connected to other PoW communities via the Hollis Highway by a paved road system. It has the following services: school, emergency medical services (EMS), boat launch, ferry terminal, flights (floatplane), RV park, lodging and library, among others.
Additional information can be found at the following links:
Prince of Wales Chamber of Commerce: http://www.princeofwalescoc.org
Southeast Island School District: http://www.sisd.org
Tongass National Forest: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/tongass/recreation
Inter-Island Ferry Authority: http://www.interislandferry.com
To view Prince of Wales Island Realty listings at Hollis please select from the following links;